Back to all reports

Bollards needed

Reported in the Safety Bollard - Damaged/Missing category anonymously at 17:54, Fri 20 September 2019

Sent to Northamptonshire County Council 1 minute later. ref: 1775046.

Between 52 and 50 Mortar Pit Road, there is a grassy area with a footpath. This is used, on occasion, by vehicles. Today, my neighbour at No 54 observed a white transit van driving at high speed through here, without slowing down. There are regularly children playing in that around, and outside No 52-60 and a serious accident could happen. Please could consideration be given to the installation of bollards? Many thanks.

RSS feed of updates to this problem Receive email when updates are left on this problem.


  • Thank you for reporting a fault on the highway. We will use the information you have provided to assess and prioritise this fault in accordance with our published response times for fault reports.

    State changed to: Investigating

    Posted by Northamptonshire County Council at 10:23, Mon 23 September 2019

  • Unfortunately Northamptonshire County Council no longer consider installing ‘No Parking’ type signs or such measures at wooden posts, bollards or barriers to prevent parking on grass verges to be a priority. Legally it is not an offence to park a motor vehicle, other than a Heavy Goods Vehicle (HGV), on a grass verge unless it causes an obstruction of the highway or there are parking restrictions in place or a byelaw is in force prohibiting it. However, we do appreciate that there are areas of Northampton, where parking is at a premium and people endeavour to maximise the available on-street and off-road parking spaces. Parking on a verge or footway would be a criminal offence if there is clear evidence of willful obstruction or causing a danger or obstruction to persons or property and where it is deemed not possible for drivers to safely manoeuvre, pedestrians to pass unhindered along the footway or that access to public or private property is impeded. This can then involve local police intervention through their Safer Communities Team by calling the non-emergency number 101 or by following the link on the Northamptonshire Police website. The Police may be able to identify the owner by the registration number of the vehicle(s).

    State changed to: not the council's responsibility

    Posted by Northamptonshire County Council at 09:05, Tue 24 September 2019

This report is now closed to updates. You can make a new report in the same location.