Back to all reports

Parking on the communal grass areas

Reported via desktop in the Verges - Damaged by Vehicles category anonymously at 09:54, Mon 23 November 2020

Sent to Northamptonshire County Council less than a minute later. ref: 2400855.

Cars are parking on the pavements and the communal grass areas on the Hazel-leys Estate NN18, tearing up the grass and turning it into mud, and when driving off are leaving mud on the pavement.

RSS feed of updates to this problem Receive email when updates are left on this problem.


  • Thank you for reporting a fault. We will use the information you have provided to assess and prioritise this fault in accordance with our published response times for fault reports.

    State changed to: Investigating

    Posted by Northamptonshire County Council at 10:01, Mon 23 November 2020

  • Thank you for contacting street doctor regarding Hazel-Leys estate, Corby. Unfortunately in terms of highway law there is very little that can be done to tackle the issues of verge and or footway parking. It is not an offence in law to park a motor vehicle, other than a heavy goods vehicle, (HGV), on a verge/footway unless it causes an obstruction or a Traffic Regulation Order, (TRO), or byelaw is in force prohibiting it. Technically the only offence the authority could pursue would be damage to the highway. When it comes to verge damage or that of communal grass areas I am sure you will understand this is difficult to attribute to one vehicle and therefore it is normally too costly to pursue such claims. Parking on a verge or footway would be a criminal offence if there is clear evidence of wilful obstruction or causing a danger or obstruction to persons or property and where it is deemed not possible for drivers to safely manoeuvre, pedestrians to pass unhindered along the footway or that access to public or private property is impeded. This can then involve local police intervention through their Safer Communities Team by calling the non-emergency number 101 or by following the link on the Northamptonshire Police website. Regrettably Northamptonshire County Council is unable to assist you at this time and would suggest you contact the local police in the first instance.

    State changed to: not the council's responsibility

    Posted by Northamptonshire County Council at 12:56, Mon 23 November 2020

This report is now closed to updates. You can make a new report in the same location.